I increasingly hear about SUPERcapitalism on NPR. This is the kind of capitalism we are in right now, where the super rich continue to get richer, but the middle class stays the same. It's a bit disturbing because it results in a culture based on debt and borrowing rather than saving. The difficulty is that, keeping the salaries of the middle class low, the superrich floods the market with their spending, thus creating a market where high prices work -- making the middle class borrow to buy what they think they need. The problem is...how do we get out of this mess? Or do we?
Other than worrying about the superrich, I have been, of course, worrying about my dissertation and the job market. I have this short window to get done what I need to get done. And unfortunately, it gets shorter as every day passes. On top of this, Mike has some sort of cold/flu...which I haven't caught...yet. I hope I don't get it as, clearly, now is not a good time to get sick.
No comments:
Post a Comment