Thursday, December 20, 2007

I love stealing surveys from Lisa. I think I've stolen this one a few years in a row.
Year-End Survey
1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before? I went to Greece. And I went to Dollywood.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Kind of. I think I resolved to go to the gym about 4 days a week and/or for at least 5 hours a week. And I did that, up until I majorly sprained my ankle in August. I returned in September (though not to my favorite step class). Then, with the two classes at two schools, the dis, the job applications, etc. I kind of stopped for most of October and November. But I've started right back up again in December.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Oh my god! Yes! This is my first "friend" birth. My friend Emily from Ithaca gave birth to a beautiful baby boy last Friday. His name is Collin. And my cousin Carolyn also gave birth to her first -- a boy named Cavan. A lot of C's and a lot of Irishness going around.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, my beautiful Great Aunt Dorothy passed away just after Thanksgiving. Although, of course, it is sad, she was ready to go. She was a lovely woman, and I think of her every day.
6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007? J-O-B. Not adjunct.
7. What date from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? I guess July 14. Mike and I celebrated five years of marriage. :^)
8. What was your biggest success? I managed to get a dissertation chapter done, an 80 page one, no less during a semester when I was absolutely overloaded with work.
9. What was your biggest failure? I was turned down for a directing job at Yale after getting very close. I don't know if it was a failure, but it hit me pretty hard.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? That sprained ankle kept me out of step class until just this week. And I still felt it!
11. What was the best thing you bought? Something I didn't expect to buy -- my new MacBook. It's the cheapest one, but the best for me because it's small and delightful.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My cousin Scott and his wife Dena have twins. And they are just the two most delightful girls ever. So I'm going to give them the medal of honor here for being fantastic parents.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Some of my students plagiarized at Baruch, and I had a hard time dealing with that. It was depressing, appalling, and time-consuming.
14. Where did most of your money go? Mortgage. Roof. Rest of Car. MacBook.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Greece. We haven't been on vacation in 5 years!!!!
16. What song will always remind you of 2007? Either Gimme More or Stronger.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you a.happier or sadder? I think happier. I'm happier when I'm busy and last year I was on fellowship and not that busy. But I did have the play to look forward to, so perhaps I'm sadder. Either way, there isn't much of a difference b. thinner or fatter? About the same. I tend to be thinner over the spring and summer and slightly pudgier in the winter months. c. richer or poorer? poorer, I guess. No more Cornell money for me to spend.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? I was pretty damn busy. Still, I'd like to have more of the dis done. But wouldn't everybody?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Maybe watched a bit less of ABC shows online.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? I actually don't know what we'll be doing on Christmas yet.
21. Did you fall in love in 2007? Always!
22. What was your favorite TV program? Lost. I can feel the anticipation beginning to pump through my veins like heroin.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? Not personally that I can think of.
24. What was the best book you read? Joe Roach. It.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Amy Winehouse.
26. What did you want and get? a job teaching writing at Fordham.
27. What did you want and not get? Yale.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? No Country for Old Men
29. What did you do on your birthday? Unfortunately, nothing much. I spent time with Mike mostly. I wanted to have a party. But I think that will have to wait for the larger done with the PhD thing...let's hope that happens.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? If people close to me had to struggle less with life's difficulties.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007? More professorial than ever. But not the funky kind. The tweed kind.
32. What kept you sane? Mike.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Justin Timberlake. I'm not attracted to him. But I fancy him.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? The primary elections. They are fascinating!
35. Who did you miss? Everybody. People from Cornell. People from MA. Everybody.
36. Who was the best new person you met? Shoot. I don't know. I've met a lot of great people. But no one that I have become close to friend-wise.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007. Use more quizzes.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. It's Britney, bitch.

No comments: